Winter is one time when we get the freshest of vegetables in the market. If you aren’t making the best of these locally sourced and grown produce, you are missing out. Like this winter vegetable tehri cooked in Avocado Oil. The fact that Avocado Oil is more neutral than olive oil makes it perfect for most Indian dishes. Swap the ghee for Avocado Oil and make a vegetable loaded tehri with all the goodness of Avocado Oil and foxnuts. Its an easy one pot solution to your lazy weekend dinner problems!
Why Avocado Oil?
The avocado oil is rich in Omega 3 and monounsaturated fats, that can help to lower low “bad” cholesterol levels.
- 1 cup Basmati rice (Brown)
- 2 medium red onion, sliced thin
- 6 cloves garlic
- ½ inch ginger
- 3 green chilies
- 10 florets of cauliflower (can substitute with broccoli )
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 4 baby potatoes, boiled and halved
- ¼ cup green capsicum, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh green peas
- 2 cups water
- 2-3 tbsp avocado oil
- Salt as needed
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp Shahi biriyani masala
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- Handful of foxnuts
- Whole spices like green cardamom, clove, star anise, cinnamon, bayleaf.
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Start by washing the rice thoroughly and letting it soak while you cook the vegetables.
- In a deep pot with a tight fitting lid, heat the oil. Once the oil shimmers, add the whole spices and let it become fragrant. Then add the cumin seeds and let it pop.
- Now add the pounded ginger garlic paste and sliced onions. Saute for 2-3 minutes, now add the vegetables except potatoes. Let it cook for 5 minutes on medium high till it gets slightly cooked.
- Add the masalas and cook for 10 minutes till the vegetables get cooked. Finally add the boiled potatoes.
- Now add the soaked and drained rice and saute for a bit. Add the water and let it come to a boil. Then close the lid and let it simmer for 10-12 minutes till the water has been absorbed. Check once and switch off the flame.
- Let the pot be closed for 10 mins. Then open and fluff it up.
- Garnish with some sautéed salted foxnuts. Serve hot with a baghara pomegranate raita.