Hasselback potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your Sunday roast and everytime you want to dress up the humble potatoes. Pretty enough to serve guests and simple enough to make without slaving over a hot stove, these potatoes are roasted in a deep, intense Avocado Oil to give it that special zing!
Why Avocado Oil?
The Avocado Oil is rich in Omega 3 and monounsaturated fats, that can help to lower low “bad” cholesterol levels.
- 7-8 Yorkshire gold or russet potatoes cleaned and scrubbed well.
For the dressing:
- 3 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 10 cloves of garlic minced + 1 garlic pod halved
- 2 green chilies, deseeded and minced
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Salt as per taste
For green garlic pesto:
- 2 bunches of green garlic
- 1 bunch coriander
- 75 gms pine nut
- 3 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 3 garlic
- 1 green chili
- Juice from 1 lemon
HOW TO MAKE IT
Time taken: 45 mins
- Start by boiling the potatoes in water for 6/7 mins till just tender. Remove and drain to dry. In the meanwhile mix, all the ingredients mentioned under dressing together in a bowl.
- Once dry, slice the potatoes like an accordion. Basically make 2mm thick cuts lengthwise, while making sure the base remains uncut. Essentially don’t slice the potatoes all the way through.
- Once the potatoes have been sliced, rub the dressing all over the potatoes using your hands, ensuring every part of the taters is covered in this dressing. Sprinkle a little more salt and chili flakes on top and arrange in a cast iron pan or baking tray with the cut garlic halves. Drizzle a little more Avocado Oil on top of the potatoes if needed.
- Preheat the oven to 180C and bake till browned and fork tender, about 40 minutes. If it starts getting too brown around 35 minutes, cover with foil and continue baking till the potatoes are completely tender. Remove when browned and serve with some of the green garlic pesto smeared on the hot potatoes!
- Wash all the ingredients of Green Garlic Pesto. Now simply blitz everything up in a food processor till smooth or chunky (as you prefer). Remove to an airtight jar, spoon over a little more Avocado Oil and store in the refrigerator. Use on sandwiches, pasta, pizza and everything!